DDNS

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 23:24:43 UTC 2009

Banana Flex wrote:

>but how can it work when the master goes down ? no DDNS works at this time ?

Correct, DDNS stops working.

>can the DHCP update the slave zone ? (stupid question sorry)

No. And in general, you can't anyway (that's not a DHCP limitation,
it's a limitation of at least one of the major DNS implementations,
and I assume others). It is a definite possibility to create a
database system that allows updates to a slave when the master is
down - but you've only to look at the way failover works in DHCP to
see how quickly the complications build up when you take all the
corner cases into consideration. Not least of these complications is
how to merge two sets of updates - considering it's possible to have
mutually incompatible updates to apply.

--
Simon Hobson