use og ping-check

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Mar 17 16:38:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 01:25:13PM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> I'm not sure. As I understand it, Vista has a problem if it gets a ping
> just after it gets the address via DHCP. The ISC does the ping before
> making an offer. I would expect the ping to arrive before the offer, and so
> it shouldn't be triggered.

You could do DISCOVER-OFFER-PING-OFFER if you had two servers, and the
client will likely switch to REQUEST the first OFFER before the PING
is received.

But it isn't 'assigned' until an ACK arrives, so it's weird they'd be
doing DAD already.  Maybe a nefarious optimization (people seem
awfully worried with how long it takes to connect).

Does anyone know what the client's behaviour is where this bug is
triggered?  Does it DECLINE or just continue DISCOVERing?