dhcp-users Digest, Vol 5, Issue 58

Marc Perea marccp at srttel.com
Tue Mar 17 14:08:09 UTC 2009

Staffan,
we actually ran into this recently ourselves when testing out a Vista client, and packet captures provided insight. From our testing, it seems that Vista does a "gratuitous arp" for the IP it was given, meaning that it asks anyone on the L2 attached network if they belong to the IP handed back via DHCP to Vista. In our case, this was a problem because of a router config that responded to that arp - in short the router said, "Sure, that IP is mine and here's my MAC", even though the router was just proxying and trying to say, "I know how to get to that IP, so I'll just pretend that I'm that IP from your perspective" - i.e. you can get to that IP through my MAC. Anyhow, iirc Vista doesn't actually use ping, but instead arps to scan for IP usage on the network. Also, Vista would NAK the server's ACK message for the lease, and we fixed this by reconfiguring a setting on the router. Hope that helps...

--Marc