DHCPv6 failover protocol?

John Jason Brzozowski jjmb at jjmb.com
Sat Mar 7 17:10:04 UTC 2009

I would disagree, as someone who is directly involved with a large
scale deployment leveraging DHCPv6.  If some form of load balancing is
not in place then one server carries more of the burden that others in
a cluster of DHCPv6 servers.  At this time I leverage a specific
configuration where:

* prefixes overlap but ranges do not
* each server is configured with a different preference

This creates some notion of hierarchy amongst servers and this also
does not address the issue of what happens when one or more servers go
down.  The latter is less of an issue with regards to DHCPv6 clients
themselves.  An issue remains with regards to any back office
applications  that rely on DHCP servers for authoritative information.

John
John Jason Brzozowski
jjmb at jjmb.com
(p) 484-994-6787