Problems with destination IP of DHCP Offer Packages

Martin Krellmann martin2002 at web.de
Sat Jul 11 15:59:41 UTC 2009

Hi.

I am running dhcp server 4.1.0. It is listening directly on interface
"ipsec0" which is the interface of an ipsec tunnel. I need to send DHCP
offers out over this interface.

I am not using an relay agent because openswan, relay agent and dhcp server
are then running on the same host and I could not get the internal routing
from the relay agent to the server working.

Let's say remote clients should get an ip address out of the subnet
"10.0.1.0/24". The ipsec server adds an route to the destination
255.255.255.255 on interface "ipsec0" so broadcast packages should be
transmitted over the tunnel. The problem is that the dhcp server does not
broadcast the offers but sends them to the IP that should be assigned to the
client. So the package will never be routed over the ipsec tunnel and the
client gets no ip address.

Is this a configuration problem or is this a default behavior?

Greets,

Martin.