Mapping a MAC to an IP...

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Wed Jan 21 16:16:34 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:

> Yes, you MUST split a range as you have shown.

 > But, you should also
> NOT put your host statements inside a subnet declaration.

Yeah, I've seen the messages in syslog and wondered.

> Host declarations are global in scope, and so are valid even if a
> client is connected to a different subnet (in which case it will get
> a dynamic address from that subnet rather than the fixed address).
> But what would happen is that the client would get a suitable IP
> address, but inherit options (such as routers) from the subnet where
> the host statement is declared - I think you can imagine the
> confusion that causes !

That makes no sense ...  if a particular host connects to a different
subnet, I'd want it to get the information *appropriate for that subnet*,
not the one where it may have a static IP/reservation/whatever you want to
call it.   What am I missing?

I'm with Mr Snyder - it's kind of a pain.  I'm only dealing with a /23 and
a dozen or so reservations, but still.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu