Mapping a MAC to an IP...

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 15:54:15 UTC 2009

Peter Laws wrote:

>Hey, speaking of that ... do I need to "break" the range in which a
>"static IP" resides?   I've been doing this type of thing within a
>'subnet' container, but wonder if there is a better or more expected
>way of doing that.  Or do I even have to bother?
>

>  range 10.197.0.125 10.197.0.143;
>
>  host gumshoe. { hardware ethernet 00:00:00:xx:xx:xx; fixed-address
>10.197.0.144; }
>
>  range 10.197.0.145 10.197.0.153;

Yes, you MUST split a range as you have shown. But, you should also
NOT put your host statements inside a subnet declaration.

Host declarations are global in scope, and so are valid even if a
client is connected to a different subnet (in which case it will get
a dynamic address from that subnet rather than the fixed address).
But what would happen is that the client would get a suitable IP
address, but inherit options (such as routers) from the subnet where
the host statement is declared - I think you can imagine the
confusion that causes !

--
Simon Hobson