Multiple subnets with relays

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 12:17:42 UTC 2009

Jessica Meyer wrote:

>Glad I'm on the right way, _BUT_, as you can see, I've set a
>shared-network for 10.1.0.0 and 10.2.0.0, but how does DHCPD know to
>give out IPs from this two networks??

It will give out ANY address in the shared network. So addresses in
your 10.1 and 10.2 networks are considered equivalent and any address
can be given to any client. When a client broadcasts to get an
address, then there is no way to know which subnet it "belongs to" -
in reality it doesn't belong to a subnet at all UNTIL it's received
and accepted an offer.

You have to do some work if you want specific clients to get
addresses from a specific network.

--
Simon Hobson