dhcp log message

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Aug 5 23:21:18 UTC 2009

Hi Mike

Looks like this is something that doesn't come up in other
configurations often, so you need to help by giving more information.

I found this mention in dhcp-eval man page:

     leased-address
       In any context where the client  whose  request  is  being
       processed  has  been  assigned  an  IP  address, this data
       expression returns that IP address.  In any context  where
       the  client  whose request is being processed has not been
       assigned an ip address, if this data expression  is  found
       in executable statements executed on that client's behalf,
       a log message indicating "there  is  no  lease  associated
       with this client" is syslogged to the debug level (this is
       considered dhcpd.conf debugging information).

If you refer to the leased-address statement, eg when processing a
DHCPDISCOVER, then there is no IP address assigned. The usual way
around this is to wrap the statement using leased-address within
something that ensures there will be a valid IP at that time.

if option dhcp-message-type = 3 {
	blah blah leased-address blah
}

All the dhcp Options are described in the dhcp-options man page.

As for why it's appearring, there was a change somewhere where the
default syslog facility cvhanged, now perhaps it matches an existing
debug statement in your syslog.conf? For what it's worth even 3.0.5 is
considered pretty old now, and you should think about moving to 3.1.x
or 4.1.x.

regards,
-glenn