Option 82 fast change

Colin Cooper C.Cooper at compserv.gla.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 17:57:23 UTC 2008

Hello

We have a requirement to always provision the same IP address to a particular
location, this we achieve by using option 82 along with some class and pool definitions
which define a class for the port and a pool of one address for the class.
This appears to work fine.

The problem is that the computer at the location changes quite frequently
and seldom if ever releases its lease prior to being removed. The next machine
to be attached cannot get the single available IP number as the lease is out for
the previous machines address.

Is there a method of always answering the initial dhcprequest ignoring the fact that the IP
address appears to already be leased ( not something a dhcp server would normally do )
or in someway not mapping to the hardware address at all.
if the switch port going down release the lease that would solve the problem nicely.

The setup is a cisco 2960 10/100 switch and a pair of linux 1u with isc dhcpd 3.0.5

Very short leases are not really on in case of server failure and the impact that would
potentially have on the use of the computer.

Thanks in advance for any help