Guidelines for Sever dimensioning

T Manikandan-Q3926C q3926c at motorola.com
Fri Oct 17 06:24:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

Can anybody help me in dimensioning the DHCP server?

I Have X number of clients to be supported by the server. How will I
obtain the CPU, RAM and Hard disk calculations?

Say for X number of clients each client takes 4 transactions to get the
IP from the DHCP server, considering each packet of size 576 octects,
takes 576*4= 2304 octects

For X clients considering 100% client attached during busy hour it will
be ( 2304 * X ) octects, or (2304 * X *8/3600) bytes per second, which
is the bandwidth but,

How should the dimension be for the CPU, RAM and Harddisk. ( Taking
account for OS , especially for RHEL),

Regards

Mani