Dhcp Info

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Oct 17 00:28:24 UTC 2008

>From: "kushal Parikh" <kushalp.ext at gtlinfra.com>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Subject: Dhcp Info
>Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:50:46 +0530
>
>Hey,
>
>I have installed a windows based server for our network for temporary
>purpose ( as the dhcp server is not working fine).I just want to know what
>is the basic system requirement for it to support DHCP server which handles
>approx 5000+ users.
>
>Thanks & Regards
>
>Kushal Parikh

Hi

This mail list is for ISC Dhcpd, which runs on Unix and Linux systems
(there may have been a port to the Cygwin environment to allow it to
run under Windows). Anyway, most people don't run Microsoft DHCP, so
suggest you try a different forum if you want an acurate answer.

With ISC DHCPD users report >200,000 users on regular server level
hardware (2-4 cpus, 2-4GB memory, fast disks). I don't know how
efficient MS Dchcpd is, but would guess that a server with those
specifications should handle 5000 clients.

The main factor affecting performance issue is lease times. If you have
short lease times (less than a few hours say) then the rate of lease
renewels will be proportionally higher than if you have long lease
times (like a few days).

eg 500 clients renewing every hour is about the same rate as 5000
clients renewing every 10 hours.

regards,
-glenn