Abandoned messages.

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Jan 8 19:51:13 UTC 2008

On 8 Jan 2008, at 19:17, Keith wrote:

> Why would a client go through the whole discover/offer/request/ack
> then
> the server at the end of it say declined, when the client ACK'd the
> request?

	I think you mean, "when the client REQUESTed the lease",
	as the ACK is from the server.

	I'm seeing this on some of our networks too.  So far, it seems
	not to be hurting, so we've not begun to treat it as "urgent".
	It is on my list for attention quite soon.

	I have no hard information yet, but I suspect rogue clients with
	manually configured addresses interfering with the well-behaved.

	In more detail, but without having thought too much about it,
	I guess what's happening is the following.

		client DISCOVER
		server OFFER
		client REQUEST
		[ server can't see address in use,
		  as we block ICMP to a (too) large extent ]
		server ACK
		client checks for address in use
		client DECLINE

	It may be that my brain is on another planet.  8-)

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9