dhcp status apps

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Jan 6 04:27:01 UTC 2008

>Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:22:40 -0600
>From: Alex Moen <alexm at ndtel.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>One thing that I do notice is that this script uses a "comment" line
>in the subnet definition to describe the subnet that it finds.
>However, I have tried adding a comment line to a working subnet and the
>server reports that as an error.  Is the comment line something that
>went away after version 3 came out?  Or am I just doing it improperly?

A comment is defined in the second paragrpah of the dhcpd.conf man page:

     Comments  begin  with the # character and end at
     the end of the line.

I've never noticed or seen a comment statement.

>I added:
>
>comment Subnet-comment;
>
>between the subnet line and the pool line.
>
>Alex

Here's how the comment line looks that dhcpstatus is interested in,
it's the leading #$ that is important. Must be the first two chars on
the line (no leading whitespace allowed).

#$ subnet name here
subnet 192.168.14.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  option ...
  pool {
    range ...
  }