tuning for maximum dhcp performance

Dan dan at telcohero.com
Fri Apr 25 18:47:02 UTC 2008

My original post comments on the performance gains of a ramdrive, but I'd
be much more likely to just remove the per-lease fsync and keep it on the
generator-backed, ups-backed, battery-backed raid10 which gives me almost
the same performance, but without as much exposure:

  80 clients/sec - raid10
420 clients/sec - raid10 no fsync
480 clients/sec - ramdisk

Rsycning a fairly large dhcpd.leases periodically leaves a lot of room for
lost information.

I would still prefer keeping the fsync, although I'd be curious to know
how many people are running systems without the fsync or on a ramdrive.