Different IP every time

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 19:36:59 UTC 2007

Dario Protulipac wrote:

>The idea is to give 24 hour lease and then change the address. Managers
>want that because t-com do this in Croatia (using pppoe), so the people
>are used to that. Any way, I'm aware that this is not how DHCP should
>behave, but they insist on this because this is FTTH service and they
>want some limitation so they can sell other FTTx services on bigger
>price. Since this is political and not technical issue any more, I'll
>thank You for Your answers and stop this thread hoping that I won't be
>forced do patch the server :)

So it is "management want this broken behaviour" !

I don't think you'll be able to modify the server to do this, from
what I gather the whole concept of addresses staying constant is
built deep into the logic and it would require some very major
changes to alter that.

Over here in the UK I see lots of stupid behaviour from ISPs - like
charging silly premiums for fixed addresses. With ADSL the address
pool is near enough required to be as big as your customer base
because so many are now permanently connected with hardware routers
and unlike dial-up you have to have a 'port' per user - it certainly
does cost a third of the basic service extra to offer a fixed IP !