"DHCP set the hostname"

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 1 11:50:38 UTC 2007

It matters only in 2 cases.  In the netbios context, a duplicate name is
as bad as a duplicate IP address.  In the DHCP informs Dynamic DNS, I
think that only the last update will win the duplicate name issue.  In
the long run, if a name doesn't leak out of the box, then the name is
private..  think RFC1918 private IP space. If there is multiple use of
an IP, it is ok as long as the address is not leaked into the public space.

With use of DDNS and the large predominance of the use of SRV records to
promote services, I can see the name leaking out fairly easily albeit in
error.  How many people really turn off services they don't need, like
file sharing, or print sharing?
I can see it easy on the LAN for situations to arise where someone
broadcasts for printer service resolution, and his neighbor says sure..
a printer is located at 'joes printer'@localhost.localdomain.

I do have approximately 80,000 devices that are maintained by people
whose qualifications to do so span the spectrum.  That  said, I have not
really seen any of the above in the last 10 years.

Tim