"DHCP set the hostname"

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 09:29:02 UTC 2007

Carl Karsten wrote:

>Next Q: what are the implications of multiple machines with the same hostname?
>In other words: does it matter if they are all left set to
>localhost.localdomain?

A: It depends !

If the client is not providing any service used by another system
then I would expect there to be little problem. However, most clients
now do things like file sharing, zeroconf (aka Rendevous), register
with servers etc and so it does become important - though I assume
zeroconf must have a mechanism for dealing with this.