vista, dns woes ?

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Jun 6 09:55:09 UTC 2007

On 5 Jun 2007, at 20:40, Simon Hobson wrote:

> I suspect that if you configure the walled garden dns servers as the
> subnet option then you'll see clients in the known pool getting bad
> dns servers in response to dhcp informs. Might be worth a try and see
> what happens.

	That would confirm the cause of the problem.

	For a solution, given that steering the client with certainty
	using DHCP towards the appropriate set of name servers seems not
	to be possible, I suggest looking for a solution on the DNS side.

	A possible solution might be, to use a single set of DNS servers
	with a different view for each 'tribe' of clients.  For BIND,
	named.conf would look domething like this.

options {
// whatever ...
};

controls {
// whatever ...
};

// possible other global configuration, as appropriate ...

// now the example:

acl internal-clients-list {
// address prefixes ...
	10.0.0.0/8;
};

// first view to match wins

view "internal" {
   match-clients { internal-clients-list; };
// configuration for unknown clients
// probably authoritative-only
// zones ...
};

view "general" {
   match-clients { any; };
// configuration for duly registered clients
};

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9