Regarding DHCP relay agent on Linux

pranab bohra pranabbohra at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 17 06:03:36 UTC 2007

Hi,
OS - NCGL ( Nortel Carrier Grade Linux)
Kernel - kernel version 2.4.22 with gcc 3.3.1
DHCP version 3.0.1

Problem Statement - Our product ( which runs on NCGL ) has 2 LAN interfaces
and I am using it as a relay agent(RA). It seems that we need to enable
Relay Agent on both the interfaces ( Lan1 and Lan2)  for the DHCP messages
to pass through. The relay agent doesnt work if I enable it on only one
interface Lan1 (client side).
We have the same product in Windows flavor ( Windows NT embedded) and it
seems to work fine if we enable Relay Agent only on the interfaces at the
client side. I have checked all the configurations on both the systems and
they seem to be the same. Is this how RA is intended to work on Linux ? Is
it a bug ? Need your inputs in this regard.

I have checked the ethereal traces, seems that the DHCP Server is sending
the DHCP Offer message back to the  RA but they are not been relayed back to
the client if RA is enabled only on Lan1. As a result the client never gets
an ip address assigned.

Network diagram is attached for your reference.

Thanks in advance,
Pranab Bohra