DHCP Fail over Setup

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Feb 9 12:06:55 UTC 2007

>Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:27:07 -0600
>To: dhcp-server at isc.org
>From: Mark Wright <mswright at tamu.edu>
>Subject: DHCP Fail over Setup
>
>We are working Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10.1, which is running DHCP
>Version 3.033.
>
>We are trying to get a fail over server up and running in our test
>network.  Machine "A" as a stand alone DHCP server works fine.  When
>we redo the DHCP.conf file and add the DHCP.master file on both
>machines "A & B" with A being the authoritative (Primary) server and
>B being the fail over (secondary) server and boot both machines we
>get a statement from the messages log showing that  "
>/etc/dhcpd.master line 32: failover peer dhcp: not found
>and
>/etc/dhcpd.master line 645: failover peer dhcp: not found.
>
>The servers support two ip segments.
>
>We also took the DHCP.master and DHCP.conf files from two slack ware
>servers running DHCPD version 3.04. in an authoritative/fail over set
>up which are working fine, and put them on "A" and "B"
>respectively.  We have consulted "The DHCP Handbook (2nd Ed) but have
>found nothing to help resolve this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Mark Wright

Mark

Sounds like something is not quite right in the config. Can you post
both dhcpd.conf files. It looks like the files might be quite large so
you can leave out anything not relevant, but please include the lines
around 32 and 645 where the errors are reported. Also include the
failover peer sections for both.

Note that the list software strips attachments, so post the files in
the body of the email.

regards,
-glenn