DHCP Fail over Setup

Mark Wright mswright at tamu.edu
Thu Feb 8 21:27:07 UTC 2007

We are working Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10.1, which is running DHCP
Version 3.033.

We are trying to get a fail over server up and running in our test
network.  Machine "A" as a stand alone DHCP server works fine.  When
we redo the DHCP.conf file and add the DHCP.master file on both
machines "A & B" with A being the authoritative (Primary) server and
B being the fail over (secondary) server and boot both machines we
get a statement from the messages log showing that  "
/etc/dhcpd.master line 32: failover peer dhcp: not found
and
/etc/dhcpd.master line 645: failover peer dhcp: not found.

The servers support two ip segments.

We also took the DHCP.master and DHCP.conf files from two slack ware
servers running DHCPD version 3.04. in an authoritative/fail over set
up which are working fine, and put them on "A" and "B"
respectively.  We have consulted "The DHCP Handbook (2nd Ed) but have
found nothing to help resolve this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Wright