DNS Update failing on AAAA

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Oct 18 20:38:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 08:43:48AM +1300, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> > This looks normal enough but there isn't an 'A' record, there is a
> > 'AAAA'.  Could the AAAA be meeting the requirement of the lookup and
> > causing the insertion of an A to fail ?

The log message is a little misleading (it's 'any record'), but was
intended to be specific for the general case.

> Having deleted the AAAA record, the update now works.  I would say that
> this behaviour is incorrect.  The presence of an IPv6 resource should
> not impact the behaviour of an IPv4 service. Or am I missing something
> here. We are using bind-9.2.5-3 and dhcpd v3.0.4 on an FC3 system.

I think the behaviour is correct given the 'update policy' which it
intends to implement.

That is, plonking down an A record where there's a AAAA but no DHCID
is equally as damaging as plonking down an A record where there's
already an A, or any other records exist.

Consider:  You could have added a matching DHCID.