"peer holds all free leases" message

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Oct 4 14:05:09 UTC 2006

>On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:37:58PM -0700, Kirsten Petersen wrote:
>> We push frequent changes to the dhcp servers, and reboot them whenever
>> something changes, which can be as often as every 5 minutes.  Is this a
>> Bad Idea?  Could this be what causes the servers to get out of sync?  If
>> so, I guess we'll have to rethink our design...

One suggestion I have seen is a cron job that tests if dhcpd.conf has
been updated, checks the syntax of the file and restarts dhcpd. Set
this up to run, say, every 30 minutes (or 15 or whatever you require).
That way you can reduce the number of restarts and aggregate all the
changes very simply. If you have multiple dhcp servers then set their
crons to restart dhcpd at different times.

5 minutes might occasionally be a bit too frequent for very large
numbers of leases as the systems may not have finished synchronising
before you stop and start.

regards,
-glenn
--