windows DHCP to ISC DHCP migration

Aaron Bennett abennett at clarku.edu
Mon Jul 17 20:45:47 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm investigating a migration path from a single-point-of-failure
windows 2000 dhcp server to a setup with two Linux boxes running ISC
DHCP with DHCP Failover protocol.  Configuring the ISC server seems
reasonably straightforward; but I'm frustrated trying to figure out how
to move our existing setup from Win2K to ISC DHCP.  We've got the usual
organically complicated setup with 20+ scopes, tons of subnets, leases,
etc and, at the least, I need to move all of the existing leases.
Ideally I can move it all.

Now in a sane world, you'd export the DHCP configuration into a nice
little text file, use some script-fu to edit that file and get it in the
format that ISC dhcp supports, and presto!  In Windows-world, I can't
figure a way to export the $#@$ setup except for one scope at a time.
Anyone ever do this?  Migrating DHCP from Windows to Linux seems like
such an inherently wise, sane thing to do that I assumed a lot of people
would have done it.

best,

Aaron Bennett

--