dhcp failover

anthony acqant at optonline.net
Wed Jul 5 18:17:18 UTC 2006

Tony Aldo wrote:
> Hi, I have a 2 node cluster using the Linux HA project.
> I am not using any of DHCP's built in failover features but instead have
> linux ha manage dhcp by keeping one node running dhcp at a time.
> My question is, how bad is it not to mirror the leases databases between the
> two servers?
>
> Thanks
> Tony

Tony,
	Why are using HA?  If you have a cluster already running and just want
to put dhcp on the two servers you can do that.  Just create two virtual
ip's and put one real server in each vip pool.  Then run dhcp failover.
 Note:  This will only work if your forwarding dhcp requests using udp
port 67.  I'm not sure how well it will work with broadcasts, if at all.