Failover and pools with single machines

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:37:19 UTC 2006

Tina,

If, as you say, you need the lease to be in the lease file, is there
some specific
use to which you put this file that determines what data must be in it?
  This
could be crucial.

I think Simon's proposed solution will work as advertised, but will show
different-looking lease-file entries on the two servers.  Using a
failover
pool, the two lease files will show consistent data except during short
transition times.  On the other hand, with non-failover (independent)
pools, as
Simon suggested, the lease files can more often hold differing
information: one
lease file showing the address assignment while the other does not.

FYI, I experimented with very small failover pools and ran into exactly
what Simon stated about small pools.  Three addresses appeared to be the
minimum size to make them function.  I suspect some ISC development
could
make the server software "handle" two- and one-address pools, but such
pools
would hardly be generally useful.

John Wobus
Cornell CIT