CIDR Reverse-DNS Zone Updates

Suertreus suertreus at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 02:50:10 UTC 2006

I run a network on half of a 10.x.x.x Class A private address space using CIDR.  My network is
10.128.0.0/9, so the associated DNS zones are as follows in BIND named.conf:

01        zone "foo.bar.baz" {
02                type master;
03                file "foo.bar.baz.zone";
04                update-policy { grant dhcp-key subdomain "foo.bar.baz." A AAAA TXT; };
05        };
06        zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
07                type master;
08                file "10.in-addr.arpa.zone";
09        };
10        zone "128/9.10.in-addr.arpa" {
11                type master;
12                file "128-9.10.in-addr.arpa.zone";
13                update-policy { grant dhcp-key subdomain "128/9.10.in-addr.arpa." PTR TXT; };
14        };

In dhcpd.conf, therefore, I have:

01        zone foo.bar.baz {
02                primary 127.0.0.1;
03                key "dhcp-key";
04        }
05
06        zone 128/9.10.in-addr.arpa {
07                primary 127.0.0.1;
08                key "dhcp-key";
09        }

However, DHCPD fails to start on the grounds that the slash on line 06 is
unexpected/inappropriate.  Is there a different way I'm supposed to specify this zone, or is this
a bug, or am I not supposed to be able to do this at all?  I've tried quoting and escaping the
zone name, but DHCPD didn't want it to be quoted either, and every way I've thusfar tried to
escape it has failed.

Thank you for your time!
-suertreus