Forwarding zone, setup

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:36:38 UTC 2022

Are you loading the parent domain and trying to zone forward a child domain
on the same DNS server? I.e. loading somedomain.local and trying to forward
ab.somedomain.local

If so an NS delegation is required in every instance I have done in my
environment. The NS doesn't need to be "right" but it needs to exist. I
don't know the internal BIND logic for that but I have always taken it as
"I load the parent and I know the child doesn't exist because there isn't a
delegation to make it exist so why would I forward something that doesn't
exist".