Change records in DNS slave if master is offline

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sun Dec 19 14:37:00 UTC 2021

Apart from master/slave now being Primary/Secondary....  (mindset change
after 25 years of DNS management)

... I kind of like the idea - except if the Primary server is DNSSEC
Signing that zone (and DNSSEC is a really smart thing to be able to do)
then editing a Secondary is not a very simple thing to do. The DNSSEC
keys (zsk/ksk/(csk)) are not shared with the transfer of a zone - so
locally signing on a Secondary would be a challenge.

I guess in an emergency one could remove the DNSSEC records from the
Zone along with removing the DS records from the parent. It would then
be safe to edit a text version on the Secondary and better still,
promote it to being the new Primary. Generally though, one can usually
afford for a Primary to be down for a short time until things are fixed.

Having a contingency plan to switch your Primary to a different
(currently Secondary) server along with all the DNSSEC configuration
would be a useful exercise. Have all the same DNS tools on that backup
server that you already have on the current Primary server.