New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel emmanuel.fuste at thalesgroup.com
Mon Mar 23 10:47:53 UTC 2020

Le 20/03/2020 à 15:05, Andreas Hasenack a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM Michael McNally <mcnally at isc.org> wrote:
>> New releases of BIND are available which contain bug fixes and feature improvements.
>> You can download them from the ISC website:
>>
>>     https://www.isc.org/downloads
>>
>> Release notes can be found via these links:
>>
>> Stable release branches:
>>    9.11.17:  https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.11.17/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.11.17.html
>>    9.16.1:   https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.1/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.16.1.html
> I'm about to update ubuntu's bind9 9.16.0 to 9.16.1, and wanted to ask
> about the pros and cons of this feature change:
> """
> The system-provided POSIX Threads read-write lock implementation is
> now used by default instead of the native BIND 9 implementation.
> """
> Ubuntu was highlighted in that change due to a bug in bionic[1], for
> which I have an SRU prepared and am just waiting on a review from my
> colleagues. There are ppa packages for testing, if someone wants to
> verify it. glibc is not a package I maintain, but I have an interest
> in bind9 working well, so I jumped in.
>
> But my question is about the upcoming ubuntu focal 20.04, which has an
> unaffected glibc. Since this is a feature change, and we are in
> Feature Freeze, I'll have to justify it to the archive admins, and
> wanted to get some input on what this change makes better. I
> understand it's your recommendation to use it, since it's the new
> upstream default, but do you have some more details?
>
> Thanks!
>

> 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1864864

Hello,

9.16.1 had been pushed into ISC stable PPA for Bionic, but without the
native Bind read-write lock compilation option.
As expected, my resolvers locked a few minute later.
Thank you for your fixed packages in your PPA.
I hope that the native glibc distribution package update will be
expedited faster.

Emmanuel.