New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Fri Mar 20 14:05:24 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM Michael McNally <mcnally at isc.org> wrote:

> New releases of BIND are available which contain bug fixes and feature improvements.
> You can download them from the ISC website:
>
>    https://www.isc.org/downloads
>
> Release notes can be found via these links:
>
> Stable release branches:
>   9.11.17:  https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.11.17/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.11.17.html
>   9.16.1:   https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.1/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.16.1.html

I'm about to update ubuntu's bind9 9.16.0 to 9.16.1, and wanted to ask
about the pros and cons of this feature change:
"""
The system-provided POSIX Threads read-write lock implementation is
now used by default instead of the native BIND 9 implementation.
"""
Ubuntu was highlighted in that change due to a bug in bionic[1], for
which I have an SRU prepared and am just waiting on a review from my
colleagues. There are ppa packages for testing, if someone wants to
verify it. glibc is not a package I maintain, but I have an interest
in bind9 working well, so I jumped in.

But my question is about the upcoming ubuntu focal 20.04, which has an
unaffected glibc. Since this is a feature change, and we are in
Feature Freeze, I'll have to justify it to the archive admins, and
wanted to get some input on what this change makes better. I
understand it's your recommendation to use it, since it's the new
upstream default, but do you have some more details?

Thanks!

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1864864