setting and monitoring dns cache master / slave pair

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Jul 6 22:46:26 UTC 2015

> 1)If Im not authoritative for any domain, then it is not necessary to declare any zone ?

Correct

> 2)If I dont declare any zone , master and slave configuration are identical for a dns cache server?

The question doesn't make sense. If you don't declare any zone, then you are neither master or slave for any zone. You understand that you have to declare a zone as "type master" to be a master, or "type slave" to be a slave, right? For that matter, if you're a pure "dns cache server", then by definition, you have no zones defined in your config (or perhaps only the root hints), so at that point it doesn't make any sense to talk about master or slave configuration.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you described at the outset as a "master / slave dns cache cluster". What is that? I don't recognize the term from any RFC.

> 3)Does it have any drawbacks no declaring any zone file in the long term?

If you're not authoritative for a zone, then you're dependent on other DNS servers -- either forwarders, if configured to forward, or authoritative nameservers -- for all resolution of names in that zone, and potentially for names in descendant zones as well.

For this reason, if you care a lot about performance, availability, and/or security, you'll replicate the data somehow. It doesn't have to be via the traditional master/slave AXFR/IXFR mechanisms -- out-of-band or side-band methods are perfectly acceptable -- but having the data available close to the DNS clients, is ideal. You can't beat getting an answer from authoritative data within a millisecond or a few milliseconds, even when the WAN link hiccups.

(The reason that I throw "security" in there is because, generally speaking, it's easier for an evildoer to spoof responses to individual queries flying over the network, than to corrupt a whole AXFR/IXFR stream, or replication mechanisms using cryptographically-secure channels, e.g. rsync-over-ssh or transfers over an OpenVPN tunnel between nodes. But, as with all general statements, a wide array of factors need to be taken into consideration, e.g. the possibility that the copies of the zone files themselves can be compromised on the local server. Your Mileage May Vary).

Note that there is a common misconception -- by people who apparently never learned the meaning of the term "stealth slave" -- that replicating zone data to a given nameserver implies that the nameserver *must* be published in the NS records of the zone. This practice does not scale very well when you have many dozens, or hundreds of nameservers. But, above and beyond the RFC mandate for at least 2 (diverse) NS records for any given zone, it is completely *optional* whether a given authoritative-nameserver (note that I purposely didn't use the term "slave" there) for a given zone, gets published in the zone's NS records or not. This is a great tuning and optimization opportunity. Add as many NS records as you need to give you the diversity you need, but not so many that you penalize the general case by steering traffic over high-latency and/or saturated WAN links. More-evolved networks set up Anycast addresses not only for recursive use, but separately for authoritative nameservice too (similar to what is done for root servers and gTLD servers on the public Internet), and this is probably the best solution so far for steering nameserver-to-nameserver query traffic to the "closest" node in any given topology (not that you'll have much need for nameserver-to-nameserver query traffic in a heavily-replicated model anyway).

There is also a popular misconception that replicating zone data widely is injurious to information security because it allows malicious actors to easily dump the contents of entire zones. While I appreciate this argument, I think it is best addressed with proper controls on zone transfers (ideally only clients with particular TSIG keys would be able to transfer), rather than sacrificing the performance, availability and other security benefits of having data local to the clients. Restricting replication is a sledgehammer "solution" to the information-disclosure issue.

									- Kevin