setting and monitoring dns cache master / slave pair

Leandro ingrogger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 19:39:52 UTC 2015

Hi , guys after reading some documentation about setting my  master /
slave dns cache cluster, I stil have some doubts.
Im setting a master / slave dns cache cluster to provide dns service to
internal users on my company having redundancy.

Here the questions:

1)If Im not authoritative for any domain, then it is not necessary to
declare any zone ?
2)If I dont declare any zone , master and slave configuration are
identical for a dns cache server?
3)Does it have any drawbacks no declaring any zone file in the long term?

About statistics:
Most important parameters to check periodically to confirm proper
function and good performace.
I would like to write a parser script so I can plot  statistics on cacti
but can not find any docs about the statistics dump output for ver 9.8.2.
So; Following this is what I understand:

[root at centos_8664_pri data]# cat named_stats.txt

+++ Statistics Dump +++ (1436204330)
++ Incoming Requests ++
                  625 QUERY                #total incoming request from
my allowed clients => shoud be in the graph, can represents server load.
++ Incoming Queries ++           # Incoming queries from my allowed
clients divided by RR type
                  359 A
                  266 AAAA
++ Outgoing Queries ++
server to others dns divided by RRs type.
                  682 A
                   15 NS
                  674 AAAA
                   98 DS
                   55 DNSKEY
                  109 DLV
++ Name Server Statistics ++         #witch is bind view ? Is it defined
by default?
                  625 IPv4 requests received             # Are these
queries divided by query type from my server to other servers?
                  582 queries resulted in successful answer
                  621 queries resulted in non authoritative answer
                   39 queries resulted in nxrrset
                    4 queries resulted in SERVFAIL
                  448 queries caused recursion
++ Zone Maintenance Statistics ++
++ Resolver Statistics ++
[Common]
                 1434 IPv4 queries sent
                  199 IPv6 queries sent
                 1373 IPv4 responses received
                   65 NXDOMAIN received
                    6 truncated responses received
                  305 query retries                     #queries from
where to where ?
                   87 query timeouts                  #  timeouts
received by my clients while using my dns ? or by my server while trying
to resolve ?
                  245 IPv4 NS address fetches            #all parameters
here seems interesting but , not sure what they are.
                  252 IPv6 NS address fetches
                    6 IPv4 NS address fetch failed
                   84 IPv6 NS address fetch failed
                  721 DNSSEC validation attempted
                  530 DNSSEC validation succeeded
                  191 DNSSEC NX validation succeeded
                  333 queries with RTT 10-100ms
                 1032 queries with RTT 100-500ms
                    8 queries with RTT 500-800ms
++ Cache DB RRsets ++
                  677 A                     # cache hits ?
                  152 NS
                   49 CNAME
                  135 AAAA
                   10 DS