Query Regarding AKAMAI Working Model

Gaurav kansal gaurav.kansal at nic.in
Fri Feb 17 19:46:21 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Swiger [mailto:cswiger at mac.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:04 AM
To: Gaurav kansal
Cc: bind-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: Query Regarding AKAMAI Working Model

Hi, Gaurav--

On Feb 17, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Gaurav kansal wrote:

> I want to know how AKAMAI works????

They work well.  :-)

Ya. They work well. That's why, majority of content providers are using
them. J

> May be this is not the right forum to ask but I am asking this here
because AKAMAI heavily depend on its HL-DNS and LL-DNS  AND these DNS
Servers answer the query based on some input it gets from BGP Routes.

They've got a fair amount of documentation publicly available describing
their CDN network, pushing updates from origin to their Edge servers,
Akamai'zed URL format, determining which Edge servers should be returned for
a client request, based on geo location, network location, availability and
throughput, failover, and so forth.

   <http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/products/index.html>
http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/products/index.html

It's not completely off-topic, but you'd likely do better to ask them
directly if you need more info.

I search a lot for but didn't find answer for my question.

I have few questions about there working model.

First is, why they are doing CNAME 4 time for each zone??

For ex:

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;www.cisco.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

www.cisco.com.          236     IN      CNAME   www.cisco.com.akadns.net.

www.cisco.com.akadns.net. 268   IN      CNAME
geoprod.cisco.com.akadns.net.

geoprod.cisco.com.akadns.net. 206 IN    CNAME   www.cisco.com.edgekey.net.

www.cisco.com.edgekey.net. 11010 IN     CNAME
www.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.

www.cisco.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net. 257 IN CNAME
e144.cd.akamaiedge.net.

e144.cd.akamaiedge.net. 7       IN      A       125.252.232.170

What's the need of doing CNAME 4 times and AKAMAI does this thing for each
domain they takes care of.

Regards,

--

-Chuck