BIND Statistics is required

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 11:35:27 UTC 2011

On 06/27/2011 10:29 AM, Parashar Singh wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to collect zone statistics for zones defined withing BIND name
> server. Due to some server performance issues, the logging facility has
> not been enable within BIND. We want to have a statistics of which zone
> has been quaried hpw many times?

Bind has xml stats, that you can access over http:

statistics-channels {
  inet * port xxx allow { localhost; YOURIP; };
};

Then point a browser at http://nameserver:port - the xml file lists a
stylesheet that'll give you a nice HTML view in a browser, and you can
get per-view, per-zone stats.

Bind will need permissions to open the TCP port. If you're on an SELinux
system you might need to do:

semanage port -a -t rndc_port_t -p tcp $PORT