I get "No mail exchanger (MX) records available for rim.com" error just for a couple of domains

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Thu Aug 19 19:36:48 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:58:45 -0700
> Subject: Re: I get "No mail exchanger (MX) records available for
rim.com" error just for a couple of domains
> From: Samad Agha <samad.agha2007 at gmail.com>
> To: Dave Sparro <dsparro at gmail.com>
> Cc: bind-users at lists.isc.org

--------------------------- original
Dave or anyone else who can help:

1- ns2 is a solaris 8 box.

2- I'm not sure what's the version of bind running on it (I'm
relatively new here). I do "#named -v" and I get nothing. When I
perform "# find / -name named", I only get "/var/named" as output. This
is a directory with all the db.* files in it.

3- Which log file can I look to see this. There is nothing in
/var/adm/messages.0 file.
---------------------------end original

named on a solaris boxen is usually called "in.named" that is generally
stored at /usr/sbin/in.named ...  (IF you're running the "as
distributed" version...)

Do "ps -ef|grep named" to see which version is running.

Where your logfiles are stored depends on your /etc/named.conf...
Typically, this file either exists in /etc or in whatever .../etc
directory that may be named on the command line when named is started.
("ps -ef|grep named" is your friend to find out...)

After you find out WHICH named is running, you can find out the
version, config file, etc, etc...

HTH.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson