query an external nameserver doubt

bsfinkel at anl.gov bsfinkel at anl.gov
Thu Feb 19 19:39:55 UTC 2009

And Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk> replied:
>Yes, it's possible. They will reply with
>
>www.example.test.com CNAME ts.example.test2.com
>
>If they have recursion or query-cache enabled, they may also respond with
>ts.example.test2.com A in answer section and example.test.com NS info in
>authority/additional sections

I am not sure exactly what the OP wanted.  If he wants to be able to
send a query to find all of the DNS CNAME records that point to his
server, there is no way of doing this, as any domain could conceivably
contain such a CNAME record, and he would have to query every name
server.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov