split view dns, with a shared dynamic zone?

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Dec 31 04:28:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, [iso-2022-jp] JINMEI Tatuya / ¿ÀÌÀãºÈ wrote:

> So, you at least need to fix one on-memory zone image that can be
> dynamically updated.  You'll then have to configure the other view where
> the "shared" zone is a secondary of the real dynamic zone in the other
> view, or a forward zone for which all queries to be forwarded to the real
> zone.  (I've not tried this configuration by myself, so I'm not 100% sure
> if this can implement what you need).

It's making my brain hurt ;), but I kind of see what you're suggesting. A
single server both master and secondary for the same zone in different
views. That should work for the "both the same" part. Then if I configure
the secondary zone to forward updates to the primary zone both views would
be the same and clients in either view could update. I guess the primary
zone would have to be in the view in which the IP of the actual server
resides, so the forwarded update from the server to itself ( 8-/, will that
even work?) hits the primary.

I think it's kind of a deficiency of bind not to support this type of
configuration more cleanly. It would be nice if you could have both split
view zones and standalone zones on the same server. Perhaps a feature
request :)?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll play with it and see what happens.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768