split view dns, with a shared dynamic zone?

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Dec 30 22:11:13 UTC 2008

At Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:14:32 -0800 (PST),
"Paul B. Henson" <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> > Is your goal something like this?
> >
> > - the server has an authority for a zone, e.g., "example.com".
> > - example.com is defined for both the internal and external views, and
> >   these views share the content of the example.com zone.
> > - any clients can make an update to example.com, whether their IP
> >   address is internal or external.
>
> Yes, that is *exactly* what I want to do. Basically, I want that particular
> zone to function as it would if I didn't have bind configured with zones
> at all. Is there any way to accomplish that? I've reviewed the
> configuration documentation and searched but haven't found anything
> helpful.

This is inherently very difficult, if not impossible.  Even if you
somehow work around "sharing" the zone (and/or journal) file, named
still needs to have two separate memory images of the zone for these
two views.  And, since there is no way to keep these images consistent
if you let the clients modify these separately.

So, you at least need to fix one on-memory zone image that can be
dynamically updated.  You'll then have to configure the other view
where the "shared" zone is a secondary of the real dynamic zone in the
other view, or a forward zone for which all queries to be forwarded to
the real zone.  (I've not tried this configuration by myself, so I'm
not 100% sure if this can implement what you need).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.