Host-level forwarding override

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Sat Oct 14 12:06:18 UTC 2006

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Why don't you just reconfigure your browser to access your proxy
> directly, *without* using the foo.tld name? Seems to me your proxy could
> then be smart enough to route things appropriately, according to what
> network connectivity you happen to have at any particular point in time.

Kevin,

Thanks. I don't quite understand what you are saying though. I *must*
use the proxy servers (e.g. named proxy1.foo.tld and proxy2.foo.tld)
when the laptop is connected directly to the company network (i.e. when
I'm at work).

What I'm trying to do is create an environment at home where this also
works (1) without having to change the configuration of the laptop at
all, and (2) without losing the ability to connect to other hosts in
foo.tld which are visible from the Internet, and (3) without creating a
maintenance nightmare.

I know of various solutions to my problem, but none that meet all three
conditions above. Hence my question.

Cheers, Jan