DNS-Answers didn't leave the system

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Fri May 5 07:54:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

I found a strange behaviour with Bind 9.3.2 on Solaris 10. Normally all
things work well, but sometime there are clients complaining about timeouts
when they do a nslookup.

I looked into it (with the logfiles of named and tcpdump on the
networkinterface) and found out: If such a timeout occurs, the incoming
request appears in the tcpdump-log and in the query-log of the named too. So
the named obvious gets the request otherwise it wouldn't be in his logfile.
But: There is no answer in the tcpdump-log!

Additional:
- it is definitly no load-problem
- it is no clientspecific. It is happening with differrent clients and only
one time out of a few thousands requests.
- there is no error-log-entry in the named-logs
- the request whose answer get lost is asking for a existing name for which
my DNS-server is authorativ.
- There was no reload or reconfig at the time of the lost request.

I don't have any clue where to look for the soure of the problem anymore. Is
this a known behaviour? Or have anyone a guess what I should check to find
the source of the problem?

Thanks,
Tom.

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer