Bind 9 is slow?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Mar 19 11:22:31 UTC 2005

    MJ> Hi James and Scott, Many thanks for your hint, I should have
    MJ> pay attention to this point earlier. I started my named daemon
    MJ> as "/usr/local/sbin/named -4" and now it is no more slow.

This is a kludge. It's not the right solution. All you've done is told
the name server to only use IPv4. So it looks like IPv6 is enabled on
your name server but hasn't been configured correctly. [Your name
server seems to have been trying IPv6, failing and then falling back
to IPv4 which worked.] This would be the underlying problem and you
should fix that. The chances are other network services and
applications will be misbehaving because they too are trying to use
IPv6, failing, and maybe reverting to IPv4. So either fix your IPv6
set-up or switch it off.

    MJ> What will happen when I use "/usr/local/sbin/rndc reload"?
    MJ> will it continue to use "-4" or I have to do something else?

Command-line arguments take effect when the name server is started.
Apart from tweaking the server's debug level, command-line arguments
and options can't be over-ridden by rndc commands. Think about this
for a moment. Suppose the server was told at start time to use an
alternate config file or run chrooted. How could a reload or reconfig
possibly change these?