fowarding vs named.ca

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Jul 9 00:57:50 UTC 2005

At 8:14 PM -0400 2005-07-08, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>  The reason for using the forwarders is so that I don't have this one
>  sole box querying the root servers all the time.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I
>  always thought it best to hit an upstream cache rather than going all
>  the way to the top.

	So long as your local box is not badly misconfigured, you will
almost never talk to the root servers.  They only store information
for a few hundred TLDs, and the information they store have pretty
long TTLs on them.  You're likely to quickly cache most any
root-level information you need (e.g., where are the nameservers for
.com), and almost never contact the root servers again.

>                       It certainly would be much simpler for me to
>  eliminate the local cache (what the forwarders hit).

	In this case, simpler is almost always better.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755