fowarding vs named.ca

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 00:14:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 00:06 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 4:37 PM -0400 2005-07-08, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> >  Can I have 2 caching bind instances on the same host, one using
> >  forwarders (bound to 127.0.0.1) and the second using roots (bound to
> >  loop 127.0.0.2).  Then just set up 127.0.0.1 and .2 in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> 	Why do you want forwarders at all?  They almost always complicate
> the setup, and slow things down, and make nameserver failure a far
> more difficult task to deal with.
>
> 	Try to find a way to eliminate the forwarders completely.

The reason for using the forwarders is so that I don't have this one
sole box querying the root servers all the time.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I
always thought it best to hit an upstream cache rather than going all
the way to the top.  It certainly would be much simpler for me to
eliminate the local cache (what the forwarders hit).

-Jim P.