Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 22 15:27:24 UTC 2005

On 22 Dec 2005, at 05:39, Daniel Ström wrote:

> You can choose any Mail service provider you want, it does not have
> to be your ISP. All i ever hear is excuses (we have to run this
> ourself) but in 99% that is absolutely not defendable from a
> economical or practical standpoint. If you dont have the resources
> let someone else do it that has them and focus on your core buisness.

Operating a mail server borders on being a "no-brainer".  It isn't
any more difficult today than it was 25 years ago.

For an individual, using the mail services of your Internet Service
Provider is a practical solution.  For a business, it may not be.
What is the sensitivity of the data exchanged via mail?  Are there
requirements imposed by the laws of your country that would mandate
maintaining your own mail server?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net