How to handle short TTLs?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 7 01:00:59 UTC 2004

We've been getting complaints that web browsers time out when
they are attempting to access finance.yahoo.com.  The problem
seems to be that that name resolves to a CNAME and an A record
that both have short TTLs:

  finance.yahoo.com	300 IN	CNAME	finance.yahoo2.akadns.net
  finance.yahoo2.akadns.net	60 IN	A	216.109.119.250

Consequently, they are never in our DNS cache when the user browses
to that web site.  When I test the lookup by hand, it does take
five or ten seconds for the response to appear.  What can be done
about this?  We are running the BIND 8.3.3 version that is shipped
with recent Solaris 9 releases.