resolving a second zone!

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Mar 18 14:50:51 UTC 2004

"aperry" <aperry at terayon.com> wrote:

I have an internal dns server that provides lookups for my domain, so lets
>say "alan.com", now we are adding another zone for active directory, lets
>say "ads.alan.com". The dns server for "alan.com" will only serv dns for
>that domain, for lookups in "ads.alan.com" I want to tell my dns to go to a
>name server on the "ads.alan.com" domain. I am not sure how to set this up.
>In my named.conf file, what type of server would i be to that domain? I am
>guessing that i will just need to set up a a db file with the SOA being in
>the ads.alan.com domain, but would like to clarify that. Also if i need to
>do a password lookup on a pdc in the ads.alan.com network for samba
>purposes, how would i set up my resolver to do this? would the rosolver on
>my unix boxes look like this:
>
>domain alan.com
>search alan.com, ads.alan.com
>nameserver 192.168.1.1

Others have told you how to add the delegation records in the alan.com
zone.  Have you also considered adding the ads.alan.com zone as a
slave zone on your BIND servers?  If your clients are already set up
to query your BIND servers, then those clients will not have to change
their TCP/IP configuration to add one of the ads name servers
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov