Incorrect nameserver address - where is it coming from?

Duane Wessels c2de at packet-pushers.com
Thu Apr 15 23:37:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Michael Barber wrote:

> We have thousands of websites that need to have the DNS moved just like
> this.....with hundreds of registrars.  Do we have to visit the registrar for
> every website?  This is bizarre to me.

It depends on how your domains are set up.  Hopefully you don't
have thousands of different nameserver names.  If you're lucky you
have one or a few nameservers for all your domains.

> Why is the IP address glued for the name server.  It too occassionally has
> to change....

Glue records solve a chicken-and-egg problem when your nameserver
name (say ns.example.com) lives under its own domain (example.com).

See the DNS and BIND book for a better explanation.  (BTW, there
is a 4th edition out now).

Duane W.