Resolver issue

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Oct 16 07:25:33 UTC 2002

Peter Lingmen <plingmen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,

> I administrer an internal DNS and sendmail server for a company.  A couple
> of people internally are trying to send mail to transcontinental.ca  without
> success.  Any workstation internal to our network cannot resolve that
> domain.  Yet externally I've been told it works no problem.

> Our DNS forwards our request directly to the root servers... any ideas as to
> what the hell is going on?

There is only a few problems with transcontinental.ca, one of them
is that they have all their nameservers at their end of their link.

You say that you "forwards our request directly to the root servers", this
is wrong. Or did i misunderstand you ?

The correct way is to "resolve using root-servers as initial hint" ( exactly
what bind tries to do if you don't use forwarding ).

--
Peter Håkanson